Pages

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Behaviorist Learning Theory and the Impact it has on Instructional Strategies: Reinforcing Efforts and Homework.

This week we were asked to explore two instructional strategies that were embedded with technology.  These two strategies are closely aligned with the behaviorist learning theory.  Behaviorist learning theory emphasizes changes in behavior that results in stimuli-response association made by the learner (Orey, 2002). 

The first instructional strategy I explored was reinforcing efforts; this strategy allows students to see the correlation between effort and achievement.  In “Using Technology with Classroom Strategies that Work” the authors gave two recommendations on using this strategy; i) explicitly teach students about the importance of effort, and ii) having students keep track of their efforts and achievements (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p.156).  Since behaviorist believes all behaviors are learned, I can definitely see how reinforcing effort align with one of James Hartley‘s key principles that “reinforcement is the cardinal motivator,” (Smith, 1999).  Even though I have stressed “you get what you put in” in my classroom, I never thought to designing a rubric which my students can use to chart their effort and achievements.  As a high school math teacher, I can see how this would benefit majority of my students, since my students cannot see how valuable it is to study or even read over their note.  With the implementation of technology, it is now easier for teachers to develop a rubric or a spreadsheet which they can provide to students with an opportunity to chart their effort and achievement.  Once students are able to see how both effort and achievement correlate, they will in turn want to be successful.

The second instructional strategy I explored was Homework and practice; this strategy extends the learning opportunities for students to practice, review and apply what they have learned (Pitler et al., 2007, p. 9).  In math it is imperative that students are given the opportunity to practice what they have learned, thus the need for homework.   In order for students to deepen their understanding and achieve proficiency, they will need multiple exposures to the material, (Pitler et. al., 2007, p. 188).   I find when we start the assignment in class; the students are more inclined to doing the assignment.  With homework and practice, the following key principles of James Hartley come to mind, “repetition, generalization, and discrimination are important notions, and learning is helped when objectives are clear” (Smith, 1999).  With the use of word processing applications, spredsheet applications, multimedia, web resources, and communication soft ware, we can take our homework assignment to an innovative level.  One website that I allow my students to use for practice is Khan Academy, whenever I introduce a new topic I pull instructional videos from this site to present the materials, my students also use the practice problems provided on this site to check for understanding.  Our text also offer an online module that allow students to self-assess, where they can take the assessment for the given section, this is for personal use and at times can count towards n extra-credit activity.

For more information on instructional strategies with technology click here
  
References:
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007).   Using technology with classroom instruction that work. Alexandria, VA. ASCD

Smith, M. K. (1999) The behaviorist orientation to learning”, the encyclopedia of informal education, www.infed.org/biblio/learning-behaviourist.htm.  Last updated: December 01, 2011.

Strandridge, M..(2002). Behaviorism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved March 05, 2012, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Behaviorism

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the website to Marzano's instructional strategies! There are some great graphic organizers listed under the non-linguistic representations. I may even pull a few as my English classes are beginning their research papers this month.

    I also stress the importance of putting the effort in to get the desired result. Many of my students lack the study skills needed to study for a quiz or test, so while we're moving through a unit I will take the time to teach them how to study. Specifically, while reviewing vocabulary we will use different strategies to help remember the definitions. I often find myself teaching them to play games with the words. We will underline certain parts or somehow relate them to things they enjoy. I've already noticed a huge difference on their quiz scores, but now that their state standardized tests are coming up, I'll get to see if they use the technique on their own! *Fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of the LINCS graphic organizer, sounds like it would work well in your classes?

    As a mathematics teacher,I find that my students lack the drive "effort" needed to be successful,they want me to do everything for them. That is one of the reasons why stress doing homework, and getting extra practice.

    I hope all goes well with your state test; I'm counting down to the one in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerris, I really like the font and background on this blog. It looks very 21st-century.

    In keeping with the reinforcement strategy and the equation, effort = achievement, it is important to remember all students learn differently. What comes easily to the academically gifted student might need more drill and practice for the average student. I think student enthusiasm is as important as effort. Students with diverse backgrounds may not possess prior experience with certain math or scientific theories, so preassessment is important for the teacher to gage who in the class may need remedial teaching before the class as a group is ready for the new concepts to be introduced.

    I do think providing a student with a rubric which they can measure their own standing is a good idea. A student who knows in advance what is expected of them can measure out their effort, pace themselves, and with diligence achieve the highest score.

    In regards to homework, drill and practice, I think online multiple choice quizzes and discussion boards help students self assess. The prompt feedback of online quizzing provides the student with an unbiased grade. Technology such as subject related online games, articles and quizzes will not replace the teacher in the classroom because students still need the trained facilitator. The technology does offer extra support and curriculum boosters if teachers understand how to integrate these tools into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Florida students take virtual school, and I;ve noticed that that program is some what based on behaviorism. When the students are doing practice exercises they get feedback from the computer regarding right or wrong answers. They do enough practice assignments to provide them with the skill and drill that they need. They then take a test to see whether they have mastered the material. I like this program, however, we use it for credit retrieval not enrichment.

      Delete
  4. I agree that providing students with a rubric to track their achievement could help them to see the correlation between hard work and better grades. What did you think of the graphing idea shown in the book? I am a total Excel nerd and would love to try this with my students. I think it would be especially applicable in a science or math classroom where graphing and data analysis are already part of our curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it work well in math or science,I have done a similar assignment with my middle school students years ago. They enjoyed using excel especially where they had to make a graph.

    ReplyDelete