Pages

Wednesday 26 September 2012

Monitoring the Progress of My GAME Plan


For the past two weeks, I've been looking at ways to make my GAME Plan come alive.  To begin with I decided I would love to have deeper knowledge in  the following areas of the NETS-T.  This week I must take time out to reflect and monitor my goals.  For each standard, I will address each question posed individually.

Standard 1: Facilitate and Inspire Students Learning and Creativity, with an emphasis on indicator b, “engaging students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources,” (NETS-T, 2012). 


Are you finding the information and resources you need?

To answer this question, I must say yes.  Yes I am finding the resources and information I need to carry out this task.  In fact I have been able to find a plethora of information, such as websites, articles, lesson plans, and not to mention, the knowledge I am able to gain from my peers and colleagues.  I have come to realize that solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources is a great way to get students involved in their learning.  It is said that learning is more successful when it is situated within real-world task or simulated in a problem-based learning environment, thus increasing the likelihood that students will be able to use what they have learned in new situations, and in new innovative ways (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 35).  The technology resources that are available in my class will also assist with bringing this goal to light.


Do you need to modify your action plan?

At this time I do not need to modify my action plan.  At the beginning of this assignment I originally looked at addressing four different indicators.  I am grateful that I did not follow through with that decision, since this has been a very tedious task.


What have you learned so far?

Thus far, I've learned quite a few things such as;
a.) that exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources, is a great way to "jump-start" students learning and creative thinking in my students.
b.) that by incorporating technology tools my students are able to step out-side of the classroom.
c.) that technology supports active learning when used as a tool to represent and stimulate real-world problems, situations, and context  (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 28).  
d.) that these projects do not have to be long and drawn out, they can also be short and sweet.


What new questions have arisen?

At this time, I have no new questions.



Standards 2: Design and Develop Digital Age Learning Experiences and Assessments, with an emphasis on indicator c, “customize and personalize learning activities to address students’ diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources,” (NETS-T, 2012).


Are you finding the information and resources you need?

I am definitely finding the resources I need to carry out this task.  Last weeks learning resources and application was of great assistance to me in this area. The UDL framework, made it possible for teachers, such as myself, to be able to develop flexible curricular which will provide our students with multiple ways of assessing content, multiple means for expressing what they learn, and multiple pathways for engaging their interest and motivation (Howard, 2004, p. 26).  I was also able to see that most of the resources I needed to make this goal a reality, were already available to me.


Do you need to modify your action plan?

For this standard, there is no need for me to modify my action plan, as it is panning out great.



What have you learned so far?

So far I've learned quite a few things, such as;a.) that the UDL framework makes it easier for teachers to meet the need of all students  b.) digital tools can help to "customize and personalize learning activities to address students' diverse  learning styles, working strategies, and abilities (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 108)c.) any form of technology can be used to assist students learning needs.

What new questions have arisen?

At this time I have no new questions


Resources:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Howard, K. L. (2004).  Universal design for learning: meeting the needs of all students. Learning and Leading with Technology, 31(5), 26-29. Retrieved from the ERIC database.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008).  National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved September 10, 2012, from: http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx






No comments:

Post a Comment